Hiya NotEnoughMods traffic.
Yes, I have started porting to 1.8.9
I put it off for awhile, and it's just as terrible as I had thought it would be.
It's absolutely stupid that I have to add 2 additional files that are multiple lines long in order to have even a basic block, where before I could literally do it in 3 lines of code.
I also started picking up automated testing of my code, to make sure that I catch bugs early.
The key point is, is that certain parts of Minecraft, and Forge, are just inherently untestable. The amount of code coupling and burden of responsibility is ridiculous.
Some workarounds work, but some just don't.