Sunday, July 3, 2016
So. Yeah. No excuses. I havn't really done anything Femtocraft related in a long time. I think I got ItszuLib as it is (mid-conversion) compiling (and almost certainly not working) on 1.8.9, and that's about it. Femtocraft is still unconverted and uncompiling.
I probably did the worst thing possible when I started to convert to 1.8.9 by doing it while I was attempting to write an api (ItszuLib) over Forge. The result is that half the things I wrote needed to be fixed, which would have been probably easier to do if I hadn't even wrote them in the first place.
The main points of ItszuLib is just to completely remove forge/minecraft namespaces out of anything inside my mod. Ideally, a forge update should consist of dropping in a newer version of ItszuLib, and no other work. Any mod built on ItszuLib should continue to work fine, hopefully even on a large switch like 1.8.9. It probably won't, due to things I really can't abstract like rendering changes and whatnot, but smaller updates theoretically should be fine.
Though I may not have expressed this publicly, I will do so now. I set out making Femtocraft with 2 goals. The first goal was to gain experience writing a program of more complexity than I had previously. The second was to make a mod I would enjoy playing inside of Minecraft.
The first goal drives the second. I will continue to look at and use Minecraft both because I enjoy the game, but also because the world offers a unique combination of technical and interesting challenges. Chunk dropout, server/client, etc.
I will admit, I have considered dropping this to make mods for other games. A.R.K., Terraria, Starbound, etc. I stayed with Minecraft because it offers the most freedom in what I can accomplish with a mod.
As I have said many times before, I suck at rendering/graphics. I spent weeks fiddling with things to get everything you saw in Femtocraft 2 previews working. I have, now, absolutely no idea how much of that work is still usable. And now, I have a huge extra set of goal posts erected between me writing these things and figuring out how they work, thanks to all the 1.8.9 changes.
Add on to that the fact I just started a coding job, where I'm daily having to deal with an entire code base I don't know. The last thing I want to due after dealing with feelings of uncertainty and lack of knowledge, is to then dive into the same thing again. Ideally, I dive into a code base I'm familiar with with a clear plan of what I want to achieve, and I can just relax and pump out cool things. That was the driving idea behind ItszuLib, and it still is.
As I ramp up at work, I'm slowly, slowly starting to feel like tackling these problems again. I can't guarantee any progress nor a rate, just the fact that, as always, I will continue to try.
Until next time.